Bishop_of_Bath_and_Wells_George_Henry_Law_Hand_Written_Letter_Todd_Mueller_COA_01_wgdl

in bishop

Bishop of Bath and Wells George Henry Law Hand Written Letter Todd Mueller COA

Bishop of Bath and Wells George Henry Law Hand Written Letter Todd Mueller COA
Bishop of Bath and Wells George Henry Law Hand Written Letter Todd Mueller COA

Bishop of Bath and Wells George Henry Law Hand Written Letter Todd Mueller COA
“Bishop of Bath and Wells” George Henry Law Hand Written 2 Page Letter. This item is certified authentic by Todd Mueller Autographs and comes with their Certificate of Authenticity. George Henry Law FRS FSA (12 September 1761 22 September 1845)[1] was the Bishop of Chester (1812) and then, from 1824, Bishop of Bath and Wells. Born at the lodge of Peterhouse, Cambridge, of which his father Edmund Law (who later became Bishop of Carlisle) was Master, Law was educated at Charterhouse School and at Queens’ College, Cambridge, where he was second wrangler. His main claim to fame was the way in which he introduced a systematic and rigorous training system for parish priests. He founded a theological college at St Bees in Cumbria. There had been once been a monastery at St Bees, but since the dissolution in 1539 many of the monastic buildings had disappeared and chancel stood roofless when Bishop Law visited Whitehaven in 1816. He was short of good clergy for the diocese, which included Lancashire, and was at that time the powerhouse of the industrial revolution. The consequent growth in population increased the demand for clergymen. Up until Bishop Law’s college, training for clergy was haphazard. Most were ordained on the strength of a degree from Oxford or Cambridge, whilst some were ordained after individual instruction from a member of the clergy. Resulting clergy were variable and did not meet a reliable standard. Law was determined to improve the supply situation so when Law visited Whitehaven and met the influential Lowther family and they agreed to pay for restoration of the chancel for a new theogical college he accepted the offer. The agreement allowed Law to appoint the new vicar for St Bees and Principal of the College, contrary to the practice of patronage at the time, and so the St Bees Theological College was born. It was the first theological training institution of the Anglican Church outside Oxford or Cambridge. The Lowthers did not act out of pure generosity. They were keen to improve their public image having been accused of acquiring the mineral rights to Whitehaven for a pittance from St Bees School, and were also suspected of having tried to keep the matter quiet by arranging the sacking the headmaster. The item “Bishop of Bath and Wells George Henry Law Hand Written Letter Todd Mueller COA” is in sale since Thursday, August 13, 2020. This item is in the category “Collectibles\Autographs\Historical”. The seller is “historicsellsmemorabilia” and is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This item can be shipped to United States.
Bishop of Bath and Wells George Henry Law Hand Written Letter Todd Mueller COA